Deaf/Hard of Hearing


Michigan State University provides services and accommodations to persons who are deaf or hard of hearing for both academic and workplace settings. The Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities fosters independence by helping students and employees harness appropriate strategies and resources for success. We look forward to maximizing your experience at MSU!

Getting Started with RCPD (MyProfile)

Log on to the MyProfile page with your MSU NetID and password to register with the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities. MyProfile provides online forms and initiates communication with a Disability Specialist.


Documentation must appear on official letterhead from a licensed medical or diagnostic professional and include a diagnosis, scope or degree of involvement and summary of related functional limitations. A copy of an audiogram is also necessary to document hearing loss. Please include your audiogram with the letter from the medical professional. RCPD provides a downloadable Hearing Loss form that may be used by medical providers to document conditions. 

After documentation of a Deaf/Hard of Hearing disability has been provided and a needs assessment is completed, reasonable accommodations are determined. RCPD will provide a verification letter that includes: (a) verification of disability and status as a student or employee registered with the RCPD (b) an outline of reasonable accommodations.

Students will receive a Verified Individualized Services and Accommodations letter, otherwise known as a VISA.

Employees will receive a Statement of Employee Accommodation Determination letter, otherwise known as a SEAD.


RCPD adheres to strict standards of confidentiality in the management of student information. Since RCPD is the only holder of disability documentation; therefore, all disability-related documentation should be directed to RCPD (not other campus departments). The Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf Code of Professional Conduct regarding confidentiality binds all sign language interpreters. All CART providers who offer captioning services for the RCPD adhere to the National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) Code of Professional Ethics (for providers in a non-legal setting)


RCPD recognizes that accommodations may be required in order to assist individuals in maximizing their educational and workplace experience at MSU. While the university is required to provide reasonable accommodations, it is not required to change essential academic requirements or job functions.

Before Requesting Accommodations, students and employees must Identify and Register as a person with a disability and provide appropriate documentation of their disability to RCPD. Employees should refer to the MSU Disability and Reasonable Accommodation Policy, for the procedure on requesting worksite accommodations.

Students and employees who are deaf/hard of hearing may be eligible to receive the following accommodations facilitated by RCPD:

RCPD Specialists are committed to an active partnership with students and employees who make reasonable accommodation requests through our office. In the case you experience a disagreement regarding disability determination or appropriateness of accommodations, you may consider taking the steps outlined in our dispute resolution process.


Building Community

MSU provides many venues for collaboration and community building on disability issues. Please consider becoming involved in the following organizations:

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have further questions that have not been answered on this page, please refer to the Deaf/Hard of Hearing FAQ page.

Deaf/Hard of Hearing in the News:

Displaying 1-3 of 16 results.

State News Features RCPD Student

Director Michael Hudson and Specialists Darryl Steele and Virginia (Ginger) Martz share their insights in assisting students with disabilities in a State News article.

Apply for the Workforce Recruitment Program!

Are you interested in working in the government for the summer or after you graduate? If so, The Academic Resource Center would like to tell you about a great opportunity for RCPD students!

2nd Annual Adaptive Sports Day Empowers all Athletic Abilities

Community members and MSU students came together at IM Sports Circle to learn new ways to play sports, relieve stress, and interact with Spartans of all physical abilities, while all playing on one platform.