Temporary Conditions


Michigan State University provides services and accommodations to persons with temporary conditions or injuries for both academic and workplace settings. On a campus of nearly 50,000 people, temporary injuries happen everyday, and both professors and supervisors are willing to provide accommodations during the time of injury. However, if the injury or condition is significant, the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities is here to help foster independence through a variety of strategies and resources for success.

Students who experience a temporary condition or injury (i.e. a broken leg, a sprained wrist, knee surgery or a short term recovery from surgery) may register with the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities. RCPD encourages students to communicate with professors prior to the time an accommodation is needed. Students may find the following resources useful:

Temporary Mobility Resources

  1. Transportation
  2. Parking
  3. Mobility Aids (scooters, wheelchairs, crutches, canes)

Temporary Arm & Wrist Injuries

Students who have difficulty writing may find these suggestions helpful:

Class Notes:

  • Borrow notes from a classmate or use carbonless duplicating paper.
  • Photocopiers are available in some classroom buildings, residence halls, and the MSU Library
  • Use a laptop computer to type notes (if typing is an option).
  • Use a tape/digital recorder with the instructor’s permission.
  • Access the course materials and notes on the classroom management systems.

Course Exams & Quizzes:

  • If taking a multiple choice exam or quiz, talk with your professor regarding circling responses on the exam and then having the professor or TA transfer the responses to the scantron sheet.​
  • If taking an essay exam, request to type the exam, record responses using a tape/digital recorder, taking an alternative format of the exam, or delaying the exam until writing is possible.
  • If you are not able to write for exams in class or work out an alternate solution with your professor, contact RCPD through MyProfile or by calling (517) 884-1900.

The Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities requires medical documentation of the condition (letter from physician or medical documents showing the nature and extent of the injury) and participation in a needs assessment with an RCPD staff member to receive assistance with course exams.

If I cannot complete my coursework...

If a student cannot complete their semester coursework due to a medical condition there are an array of options that may be discussed with an academic advisor within a students' college or specified field. In addition, students may request a withdrawal for medical reasons and/or a refund by following the procedures as posted by the Office of the Registrar

If help from RCPD is required...

Log on to the MyProfile page with your MSU NetID and password to register with the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities. MyProfile provides online forms and initiates communication with a Disability Specialist.

Before Requesting Accommodations from RCPD, students and employees must Identify and Register as a person with a disability and provide appropriate documentation of their disability to RCPD. Employees should refer to the MSU Disability and Reasonable Accommodation Policy, for the procedure on requesting worksite accommodations.

Temporary Conditions in the News:

Displaying 1-3 of 11 results.

Tower Guard Gives to the Community for the Holidays

The end of the year calls for holiday cheer, and Tower Guard students prepared for the mission. This fall semester wrapped up with a never-been-done-before fundraiser aimed to raise funds to create gift baskets for children at Sparrow Hospital, located in the Lansing community.

State News Features RCPD Student

Director Michael Hudson and Specialists Darryl Steele and Virginia (Ginger) Martz share their insights in assisting students with disabilities in a State News article.

More Than a Game: Student Participates in National Tournament

When Piotr Pasik sees an opportunity, he maximizes it. That was no exception for the 2017 Wheelchair Tennis National Tournament. But, joining the tournament wasn’t to showcase his tennis skills.