The Statement of Employee Accommodation Determination (SEAD) is the primary method of documentation that enables employees to validate and communicate their needs to supervisors. Reasonable employee accommodations are determined through a partnership between RCPD, MSU's Office of Employee Relations (OER) Accommodations Specialist, the employee, and the supervisor. The SEAD is individualized and cannot be generated until the employee completes the following steps:

  1. Identify and Register a Disability. This includes self-identifying through the RCPD MyProfile and submitting sufficient medical documentation
  2. Request Accommodations
  3. Participate in the employee accommodation review process, including a needs assessment meeting with RCPD and OER and submission of a current position description. 

The OER Accommodations Specialist also engages with the supervisor regarding the accommodation requests prior to determination and production of the SEAD. For a comprehensive overview of the employee accommodation process, please see the MSU Disability and Reasonable Accommodations Policy.

Supervisors are responsible for maintaining confidentiality and for facilitating the granted accommodations outlined on the SEAD. The SEAD should be held in a confidential place separate from the employee's primary file.

What is a Reasonable Accommodation?

Under both the Americans with Disabilities Act, as recently amended, and Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act, a reasonable accommodation is considered to be a modification or adjustment to a course, program, service, or facility, which ensures that a qualified individual with a disability is not excluded, segregated, or otherwise treated differently.

  • Reasonable accommodations are tailored adjustments that level the playing field.
  • Reasonable accommodations must not compromise essential job functions.
  • Reasonable accommodations are individually determined after review of medical documentation and an interactive needs assessment between an RCPD Ability Access Specialist, OER, and the employee.

An accommodation would not be considered reasonable if it:

  • Fundamentally alters the essential nature of the job
  • Constitutes services of a personal nature
  • Results in an undue administrative or financial burden for the institution
  • Results in posing a direct threat to the health or safety of self or others
SEAD: Statement of Employee Accommodation Determination
  • A unique reference number serves to validate the security and authenticity of the form as produced by RCPD
  • Listed accommodations are determined through a process that engages both the employee and supervisor
  • Requested accommodations are marked as one of the following: granted, granted with modification, or denied. Determination comments and dates are provided by the RCPD specialist to further explain the outcome
  • The employee and associated specialists are named to provide linkages should supervisors need clarification or desire further communication

For more information, download a SAMPLE SEAD.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will RCPD inform my professors about my accommodations?

Once registered with the RCPD, the student receives an accommodation letter, called a VISA. Students are responsible for presenting this VISA to each professor at the start of the semester during office hours. It is important to go over the VISA to coordinate accommodations.

What accommodations will I receive for my disability?

Each person and setting is unique and needs will vary. Accommodations are determined during a confidential needs assessment with an Ability Access Specialist.

How does MSU facilitate note taking services?

Students work with their Ability Access Specialist to identify an individualized solution. Solutions often include: technology assisting independent note taking, shared notes with a peer, or other approaches. Visit the Accessing Note Taking Assistance page for a generalized overview of possibilities.

Will I receive the same accommodations that I got in high school?

Upon registering with RCPD, you will talk to an Ability Access Specialist about the appropriate accommodations for your disability during an individualized needs assessment. While RCPD takes historical accommodations into consideration, the college environment has different demands that may shape essential functions and accommodations. Visit our Future Students page for information about coming to Michigan State University. 

I'm having trouble in my class, where can I find tutoring?

First, talk to your professor during office hours for ideas on how to succeed in the class. The Neighborhood Student Success Collaborative (NSSC) also offers a variety of resources and supports. 

What if I disagree with the disability determination or level of accommodation I receive?

RCPD Specialists are committed to an active partnership with students and employees who make reasonable accommodation requests through our office. In the case you experience a disagreement regarding disability determination or appropriateness of accommodations, you may consider taking the steps outlined in our dispute resolution process.

What campus organizations focus on disability issues? 

Several organizations on campus exist including: 

To learn more about CSD, Tower Guard, and the Adaptive Sports & Recreation Club, please visit Department of Student Life's Registered Student Organizations or contact your RCPD Ability Access Specialist.