Welcome to the February Gratitude Campaign for Alex’s Great State Race!
As you might know, the race did not occur as usual in fall 2020 due to the pandemic. While we enjoyed a wonderfully close-scoring game between Michigan State University and University of Michigan, we felt we could not safely perform the iconic race between East Lansing and Ann Arbor with our ROTC cadets and the game ball.
So, here we are! The Alex’s Great State Race committee is excited to introduce the month of February as the AGSR Gratitude Campaign month. We are looking forward to sharing stories, videos, and pictures honoring Alex Powell, the history of the race, the MSU U-M rivalry, and more!
To kick off this month of gratitude, join us in welcoming Juliana Powell, Alex’s mom, and critical member of the Alex’s Great State Race committee. Juliana’s passion and generosity move the race forward each year. Watch her video to learn more about Alex, the race, and our cause.
Alex’s Great State Race could not occur without the support of our sponsors, donors, and volunteers. The AGSR committee cannot express enough our true appreciation for how you have made this event come to life since 2014. We remain honored to have the privilege to bring Alex's message of hope and drive into our communities. THANK YOU! And we hope you enjoy the AGSR Gratitude Campaign.
Keep your eye on RCPD’s Ability Blog, U-M’s Services for Students with Disabilities page, as well as AGSR’s and RCPD’s social media accounts for stories coming this month:
Twitter: @Run4Alex, @MSU_RCPD
Instagram: @Run4Alex, @msurcpd
Stories this month...
- February 5th: Alex Set an Example for Us All. Alex's Great State Race has been celebrated since 2014! In this week of the Gratitude Campaign, we share the history of the race.
- February 12th: Alex's Story. Alex Powell was a true Spartan and left a legacy in Alex's Great State Race. In this week of the Gratitude Campaign, we share Alex's story.
- February 19th: Rivalry vs. Collaboration. Let’s take a step back and remember the rivalry that is celebrated on the day of this wonderful event.
- February 25th: Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin, who represents Michigan's 8th congressional district, focused on Alex's Great State Race during her time on the U.S. House floor
- February 26th: Overcoming Adversity to Maximize Ability and Opportunity. In our final week of the Gratitude Campaign, we reminisce on the past two years and say a final "thank you" to ALL who make this event possible.